Sunday, January 2, 2011

happy new.... what?!

A rushed reflection, for now, because I am about to go on Mes de Mision, the month-long service trip with the students at Miguel Pro. I´ll have no access to internet or phones, so I won´t be able to talk until February. BUT, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Truly.

The turn on the new year was, well, insane. I´ll make this short and sweet. I went to the beach with the host family. We just chilled most of the day, and then at night the girls (me, Stephanie, Edda, and Nitza), went to a nearby beach to party with friends. BUT, my host sister and cousins demanded that I dress up like the Peruvians do. I told them I didn´t bring any nice clothes, so they dressed me up in theirs. It was a 3 v. 1 situation. Then they assured me that there would be a lot of girls wearing less clothes than I was... Cheers to cultural experiences?! It wasn´t that bad (because I made them give me leggings), but then I went to Cesar´s house where some other volunteers were spending the new year. We ran to the shore before midnight, and. it. was. insane. I thought Christmas was crazy?! There were fireworks everywhere, big ones, small ones, one that looked like it hit a house. People were lighting stuff on fire everywhere. Popping champagne bottles. Eating 12 grapes with 12 wishes. Wearing yellow undies for good luck. And putting a mixture of corn, lentils, rice, and some other stuff I don´t really know about in their pockets for good times. Peruvians beat Americans by far in how they party. Damn. We went back and I tried some cow heart. Nom nom nom. Played some flip cup, walked around, tried to get into the club for free but didn´t manage it, and then the hole in my mouth where my wisdom tooth used to be started hurting, so I went back home EARLY at around 4:30 or 5am. Spent the first of the year on the beach shores, sunkissed under the strong Tacna sun.

2010 was a big year for me. I graduated from LMU, I made some good, lasting decisions for myself, I moved to Peru. And now begins 2011 in Peru. To hope. To peace. To love.



Every time I look at the night sky, I look for Orian first. Though the night sky is different here, I can still see Orian. Look to the heavens, and we look together.

3 comments:

  1. I look at the heavens
    I ask the stars
    Orian, please
    receive my kiss.
    Return it though
    to Earth below
    to my little girl
    away in Peru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure Peruvian beat Americans? I think it's only different. Do they have New York Times Square. or Viva Las Vegas, or the New Year Celebration at Disneyland? Here it all depends on you want to do

    ReplyDelete
  3. And will we have any photos of the craziness?!

    Go figure your first event of the year was a bit of a walk outside your comfort zone—here's to many more!

    Blessings on your month of service, may those who serve next to you be a concrete reminder of why you are there.

    pax

    ReplyDelete