Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nancy Northshore

That is the term my boss used for the rich white people in Milwaukee who live on the north end of Lake Michigan. Those Nancy Northshores who are also pregnant go to Childbirth class with me on Monday nights. I've been to 4 two-hour classes so far, but what I am finding most interesting is what is not said out loud in class.

There are several things that have become ridiculously clear to me in this class. The first is that none of these women have ever been in any real pain before (physical or otherwise), and so the thought of labor is terrifying. The second is that they want control over what is happening in their bodies and their own fear so the way they seek control (and are taught to get control) is by intellectual domination.

The first item is a symptom of a white supremist western society in the US but especially in Milwaukee that gives unearned privileged to white people just because they are white. Just one result of that is that these women don't know how to cope with pain. That can be true of other people in other populations as well, but I think it is especially true for these women.

The second is also a symptom of a white supremist western society based on Eurocentric values that favors rational intelligence over body intelligence. The body becomes something we must overcome intellectually by learning about it and understanding it, as if we are floating heads over dragging bodies. When we understand in our minds what our bodies do, then we have some sort of control over them. This domination of the intellect over the body is one of the reasons the Vatican cites against contraception, maintaining at least officially the stance that human beings are spirits incarnate, a being of body-mind-spirit so intertwined that we cannot separate one aspect from the other. But I digress.

Okay, so how does this happen in childbirth class? Well, I think the two key lessons in class can be summed up pretty quickly: 1. Every pregnancy/labor and delivery is different. 2. Your body already knows how to do this and will do it.

This seems great so far, but then the rest of the class series is all about creating a birth plan, practicing poses, understanding what hormones do what, etc. And some of it is good to know in case of emergencies, of course. But most of the time in class we literally pound our brains over what our body already knows how to do just so that we are comfortable with our body doing it. Then we create a flexible plan so that we feel in control again, because we would rather have our intellect in control than our bodies.

Wow, what good is that? What if we taught body intelligence instead and learned to trust our bodies? Or found a balance between useful brain knowledge and even more useful body knowledge? So how do you teach body intelligence? I've sat still in too many classrooms to know, but I think I know who to ask.

I guess I'll get back to you on that.


race angst.

4 comments:

  1. I believe in the power of the mind
    I believe in the power of knowledge
    We can help our body with our intellect

    Even if we can not achieve control

    ReplyDelete
  2. But control should not be our goal.
    Our bodies have their own knowledge, doesn't it make sense to learn that too?
    Yes, we can help our bodies with our intellect, but we can also help our minds with our bodies, we just don't do that one very often because we prefer rational thought to any other knowledge. And the reason we can do either one is because our minds and bodies are deeply connected.
    My body screams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Control should never be the goal
    We should take care of our body, mind and Spirit
    They are equally important

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entry resonates a lot with me. The body, control, pain. We humans are terrified of what we cannot control. But there's a huge liberation in not simply succumbing to our lack of control, but fully embracing the lack of control. Last year was the most stressful year of my life and my body responded by daily stomachaches, heartburn, and insomnia. The body is amazing. I would have days where my mind would put down the stress, but my body would continue to feel those anxiety symptoms. And here in Malaysia, I continue to think about these vessels, temples of ours that we don't treat as such. Skin whitening everywhere. Diet pills everywhere. Kissing scenes being censored. I often think that if the girls I work with (and the same goes for youth and young adults in the US) were allowed and encouraged to become more aware of their bodies, they would be more able to make healthy, complete choices. I've been doing yoga sessions with them and it's been so fun and interesting to see them discover what parts of them hurt, what parts of them move in ways they didn't know. Anyway I'm rambling now, but all that to say, thanks for provoking my thoughts. Also, Julie Lupien said she met you at her last workshop! It makes me happy that she got to meet you, and you her.

    ReplyDelete