Monday, November 15, 2010

I am a foreigner.

Example 1: While the keyboards for computers here look exactly like those in the USA and are labeled the same, they do not work the same. I´m pretty sure these computers were donated by an ex'alum of this school, Miguel Pro, but when you connect it to a spanish computer, it registers the keys differently. For example, I try to type a question mark and I get _. Or, I type the happy face I always like typing and get ¿=. That´s not very happy. A colon is Ñ, and if I try to spellcheck, everything is spelled wrong because it is in English. Forgive me for all my errors, until I have the chance to learn this new keyboard.

Really, though, I am such a foreigner.

I didn´t really want to feel like a foreigner when I first imagined myself doing this whole JVC thing. I wanted the fact that my parents are not American to mean that I was somehow closer to the somewhat similar culture I am now immersed in. I mean, I´m not in Nicaragua or Spain, but there are some similarities. And I tend not to think of myself as American, because, I think, growing up as 1st generation results in a lot of mixing of cultures. Both here and there. And a part of neither. It is what I understand to be the mestizo experience, if you will. The thing is, though, I am a foreigner, and I have so much to learn and get used to here. No toliet paper in the toilets. Cold showers, though we have some hot water here in Tacna, but we won´t have any in Andahuaylillas, and its colder there (gosh I´m going to die). Boiling water to drink. Lots of new fruits to eat. Avoiding dogs and cats. Bartering for good prices. Using nuevo soles in the first place. SPEAKING SPANISH, by far the most difficult thing for me right now. I´ve got a notebook I keep with me everywhere to write down words. No central heating or AC. I thought I heard my phone ringing once, and realized I don´t have one. Using international phone cards to call home. Feeling pretty disconnected from home, internet, that sort of thing. Waking up early! Gah! Greeting everyone I meet with a kiss on the cheek (not difficult for me, actually, but my community-mate Sam had the funniest cultural mishap when he went to kiss another guy hello... guys dont kiss each other, just shake hands. haha!). Spending at least 3 hours on meals with everyone eating together.

I miss my family, not going to lie. It is good to talk to them every so often when I can, but it is difficult right now in the transition and orientation phase to have a schedule that is at all consistent. Leaving home was incredibly difficult. Everyone in my family cried, including those who I can´t remember the last time I saw them cry. It was, and remains, an intense emotion that is difficult to describe. I mean, even weeks ago when I was blogging about how saying goodbye sucks, it wasn´t that bad in retrospect. I didn´t know that pain as deeply as I do now. I´m sorry to put my family through that, I really am. I am lucky enough to have all of Peruvian culture to distract me now, but they might not be as lucky. And that pains me. But I pray for them every day, cada dia, without fail.

It was a long journey from LA to Tacna, Peru. It took about a full day, 24 hours to get there between layovers and stuff like that. We were greeted by the JV´s in Tacna with a nice poster. We´ve had good time to rest here, though we also have been bombarded with birthday parties and gatherings of the sort. There is so much to absorb, by the end of the day I feel a little numb from all the input. I need to give myself a little more unwinding time, a little more prayer time. I can´t possibly mention everything that has happened so far, but I´ll highlight some fun events. Myself and Sam went to Cara´s (JV ´08 who is coming with us to Andahuaylillas) birthday party as Mario and Luigi. We did a scavenger hunt in Tacna to get to know the city, and myself and Ashlen (JV ´10 in Tacna) got to wear traditional Marinera dresses. There was a dog in the church during mass and no one really paid any attention to it, didn´t care either way. I´m pretty sure it looked at the Eucharist during the consecration too. Today Cara, Mo (JV ´09 in Tacna), and Mateo (JV ´10 in Anda) I get to play in a rock band for a little audition, I´m not sure for what exactly.  We are getting tours of the schools where the Tacna JV´s work, and generally more accustomed to this different way of life. I have been living in a room in the church, but at the end of this week I will move in with a host family. My goodness, so much to absorb.

Pray for me. It is a lot of adjusting, and I can already feel and notice some of the signs of culture shock in me. Nothing bad, completely normal, and all part of the process. I´m not worried, but of course I need all the prayers I can get. Leave me some prayer requests too, because I am praying on this side of the world. Much love.

And here are some pictures. =) (Like how I figured out how to make the happy face?)


Welcome poster for the 2010 JV´s


Luigi and Mario at Cara´s birthday party.


Happy Birthday!


Wearing the traditional Peru dresses for the Marinera dance!!

Te quiero mucho.

2 comments:

  1. GAAAHHHHHHHHH!
    A;LSDJAFOI;SUASODHFP;OW8R2-78R42PYUO!~!!!!
    ;ASJUF;OAISF;ALJK;FAOIHFSDO;IAF

    I need to write something more constructive instead of attempting to convey my deep feeling via banging my forehead on the keyboard.

    I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEGUN. You and Ashlen look beautiful. You and Sam went as Mario and Luigi to a birthday party? You're going to move in with a host family? SO MUCH TO ABSORB.

    Thank you for sharing it with me.
    I do think I know, or will know, what you are feeling. And it's impossible to ignore the difficulty of that. But I tell you, deeper than the rest, I am so EXCITED for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali-Girl :)

    Just like the summer out East, you get the opportunity to realize just where you come from and where your roots are. Too many people don't change communities enough in their lives to see this.

    I too am EXCITED for you! Enjoy the processing time, when you can get it and however it comes. As Ignacio de Loyola would say—if blogging works, use it; if it doesn't work, don't!

    Lol, good to hear you've arrived (at least bodily) and safe =)

    ReplyDelete