Saturday, December 4, 2010

in sickness and in health.

I feel like a large topic in my blog so far has been my health, and if I think about it, I guess this is a large topic in my life right now. You faithful readers already know of the first time I got violently sick here in Peru on the 9th day in country, as well as when I got rocoto shot in my eye on Thanksgiving, the 15th day in country. Then, this past Tuesday on the 20th day in country I got one of my wisdom teeth pulled (the next three will get pulled later on, one by one), though for now I will skip that story. Then, last night on the 23rd day I went to the hospital again with severe abdominal spasms. And I mean severe. I think I have a decent tolerance for pain, but I couldn´t stand up straight with these pains. Mo looked rather worried about me. Actually, a lot of people did. After and inyeccion for the pain and an ultrasound to see what was up, the doctors weren´t really sure what it was except for severe constipation. Blockage. I´m now un-blocking my system, which obviously requires many trips to the servicios higienicos.

I woke up today, and still remain, in a weird mood. I´m not used to being sick like this, or taking so much medicine. I can´t swallow pills very well, and so in the US at least, I just wouldn´t take the pills whenever I could avoid it. I have peppermint products for headache relief when I need it as a natural remedy (which really does work), and I would much rather drink special teas to help digestive problems than popping a pill.

I think I just feel really shaken up. Like something was touched deep inside of me.

This is rough.

I really didn´t expect to get this sick this often.

I am reminded, though, by a friend and fellow JV Samii Hartman that this is a priviledge. The fact that I can and did choose to serve in Peru is a priviledge. And everything that comes with it, I chose and choose every day. This sounds odd, but its a priviledge to get sick in Peru. The fact that I had the power, ability, and freedom to come to another country is a huge deal that not very many people have. People keep saying its a brave thing to do JVC in Peru, or its so noble, or selfless. Nope. It´s a priviledge.

I know its a little more complicated than that. Its just that my innards are burned in disease and they wouldn´t be if I wasn´t where I am, exercising this priviledge.


Though I feel very shaken up, I´m sticking through this one. In sickness and in health. Whatever I have to give, God will show me how to give it. Because it is by God that I am here. God sent me, God will show me what to do. I´m not sure what I have to give, like this. But that is the wrong question. The question is, will I say yes?


Go in peace, for your faith has saved you.

2 comments:

  1. Ibabeni njalo bakithi [Hold on tight, my people]
    Ninga dinwa [Don't get weary]
    Ninga phelelwa nga mandla [Don't lose your strength]

    ...and that the sun will shine... :)

    ReplyDelete