Wednesday, December 29, 2010

see.

I have a lot of time on my hands this week. School is over, and we are starting the infamous Mes de Mision on Sunday. I have no school meetings because I won´t be teaching at any of these schools in Tacna. I got another wisdom tooth out, so I am mandated to stay out of the sunlight and not to carry heavy objects. It also, you know, hurts a lot. I´m still chillin´ with the host family, though most of the volunteers have moved back to Habitat, either in the rooms in which they will reside for the next two years, or back to the posta, or Charo´s house. My host mom, though, explicitly told me that she would be angry with me if I moved back to Habitat before I had to. I think that is her way of saying she likes having me around, though I´m not sure why. Either way, all I have to do until Sunday is recover and prepare for Mes de Mision.

I guess I´m saying all of this because I´m going to post a lot on here in these next couple of days. Thoughts that have been lingering, pictures too. Because I have the time now, and I won´t be able to post anything during the entirety of January during Mes de Mision. I´m reminded of my own words in 3rd grade, "enjoy it while it lasts." And I guess I´ve found blogging a useful tool to better understand my reality at this time.

So, with that, I will start with some pictures. Always a favorite, no? I perhaps haven´t posted enough pictures on here for you to see, but here we go. Click on the pictures to enlarge.

  Yea, thats the pata of a cuy. The paw of a guinea pig. Nom nom nom...

All twelve of us, plus Carmen and Charo for a Christmas-y dinner. 
 I find this picture hilarious. Cara, Sam, Mallory. Shows the future of our community in Anda??

 I went to see the petroglifos with my host mom, but to get there we had to cross a rope bridge. She went first to make sure it was safe....

 I was frikken scared..

Some of the cool rocks. 

 Tacna Nativity scene. Authentic Peruvians. 

 Culturally appropriate Santa Claus!!

 On Christmas Eve morning, we went on a trip to Tarata, a little town in the mountains nearby. Here are the back of Sam and Mo´s family looking at the cool view at the top of our hike. 

 My host family for Christmas. Host mom Edda, host sister Stephanie, abuela Ophelia, me, abuelo Enrique

 Where the ocean and the desert meet. The two spiritual landscapes. Beautiful. 

 Merry Christmas on the beach. Cousin Nitza, abuela Ophelia, sister Stephanie, cousin Edda, and me. 



I´m getting sick of rice and potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I initially thought that first picture was related to your bad digestive system...

    ReplyDelete