Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sister/Brotherhood

A deep breath.

There is so much to learn, so much to absorb, so much to taste and see and drink. I mean, of course, in the sense of experience. I've been in Milwaukee for almost two weeks now, and I'm getting used to it already. So far, so good. The first week was orientation for both the domestic and international volunteers, and this week we have started work and the international volunteers have a second week of orientation. Thing is, CapCorps and Columbia St. Mary's are still working out the contract for me to serve here, so I have only done one thing work related this week. Otherwise, I've been dropping in to the international orientation and sharing thoughts.

Obviously there is a lot to talk about, but I'm going to focus this entry on one thing: Sister/Brotherhood. This is a deep root of Franciscan Spirituality that I am just getting to understand, and I'm hoping to understand more deeply in time.

The idea is this: We are all sisters and brothers. No, stop. ALL of us. Everything in creation was so blessed just by being created. We are in relationship with everything as sisters and brothers. This means, yes, my family and friends, but it means every person in the world is my sister, my brother. AND it doesn't stop there. All of creation holds this sacred relationship. This includes Brother Sun, Sister Moon, Brother Wind, Sister Water, Brother Fire, Sister Mother Earth, and my favorite, Sister Death. What would happen if we thought of everything in creation, every person, every plant and animal, everything as my sister and brother? What would happen if we treated Creation as my sister, my brother?

Wouldn't that change everything?


Let's change.


Feliz Cumple, Hache. 

1 comment: