Friday, November 11, 2011

I'm sorry

About a week ago I was walking at a park in the middle of a pathway looking to my left at a man flying a kite. It took my attention, one of those with two strings so he could zip it around. Then I realized a black woman was walking towards me and going to pass by. I looked at her to say hi, but she didn't make eye contact and I didn't end up saying anything.

Then I realized that the woman was walking on the grass, while we passed by. I quickly looked behind me and she was back on the paved path. So, she must have stepped off of the path and into the grass when she saw me coming.

This is a small but significant example of how racism/colorism works. Light skinned woman takes up all the space without noticing it, dark woman steps off to the side to pass by.

I took too much space and it was too late when I realized what had happened.

I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment